The difference here or "why are you reviewing the same thing?"
These bites are calcium carbonate, a choice for pre-ops, gastric banded patients, vertical sleeve gastroplasties, any other RESTRICTIVE procedure... or anyone without a gastric BYPASS.
Current ASMBS guidelines for postoperative daily vitamin supplementation for gastric banding are the following:
* 1,500mg additional elemental calcium split into doses of 500 to 600mg each
* (Optional: B50 complex)
In fact "normals" could utilize these particular bites for calcium and vitamin D supplementation. *waves to the non-WLS'er readers, and my mother.*
The recommendation for most is typically 1K-1500 mg. of calcium, which means you could take several of these in divided doses each day - each is 500 mg.
Yes, it's adding OMG! calories, but come on, get real, that's nothing. They are sweetened with polyglycitol and sucralose, and if you decide to binge on your calcium? Laxation may occur, don't.
"Polyglycitol syrups are a specialty category of hydrogenated starch hydrolysates. These syrups are based on sorbitol and maltitol, both of which are present in levels less than 50%. They contain lesser amounts of hydrogenated oligo- and polysaccharides and maltotriitol. Syrup is its typical form, but it can also be dried and supplied as a solid product."
The bites come in a bag. Individually wrapped in silver wrap. They are about the size of a "Starburst" candy. Each bite is a dark chocolate color, with a entirely smooth appearance, sort of like a chocolate "Starburst!" No, wait...
Let me eat some.
Calcium carbonate breaks down with no discernible texture, whereas citrate (no matter how it's packaged) has a slight grit. The bites are super chewy, and taste like chocolate brownie batter, and not like a Tootsie Roll! (I have a thing about Tootsie Roll flavor, no likey.) These are awesome.
- Product - Bariatric Advantage Chocolate Calcium Carbonate Chew (500mg), 60 count
- Via - Bariatric Advantage
- Price - $9.99
- Pros - Little chews of SMOOTH brownie love! ;) Taking calcium, especially if you've been tainted by yucky calcium or choking down horse pills - can be a pleasure.
- Cons -
- Rating - Pouchworthy, MM I would suggest these to non-WLS girls also, who need additional calcium, and are diabetic or would rather not have sugary calcium chews.
Other BA Reviews:
- Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Chewy Bite Chocolate Flavored
- Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenges
- Bariatric Advantage Calcium Crystals with Vitamin D
- Bariatric Advantage Chewable Iron 60 mg.
- Bariatric Advantage High Protein Meal Replacement
- Bariatric Advantage Liquid Vitamin D-3 10,000 IU Supplement