One of the first "rules" (....bahahahaha, rules?) of gastric bypass I learned early on - was not to add concentrated sources of extra calories where they were totally unnecessary. A food that qualifies the unnecessary category for me is - peanut butter and nuts.
I don't like peanut butter, so I was not bothered by not enjoying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after weight loss surgery.
However, one of the other things you learn later on is YOU NEED EXTRA FAT SOMETIMES. To, uh, make your body work, and to make your skin not fall off. (This is just personal experience. Your mileage may vary. Your body should vary, yadda yadda yadda.) Many of us find that we under-eat fat.
A few weeks ago, I saw in the peanut butter aisle while picking up the nasty creamy gallon jug of peanut butter for my kids, this:
To be fair, I was drawn to it because it read CREAMY and COCONUT. Perhaps I thought it was going to taste of sweet coconut? (I AM A SWEET COCONUT FAN, and I think I might have picked this up thinking it'd be a decadent macaroon-y flavor. Sweet macaroons are asking for sweet death.) Instead, I bought the almond spread -- I made toast. I opened the glass jar, and mixed, it's got a slight oil on top, but nothing like natural peanut butter and it's more creamy like coconut butter - and I smeared it onto my bread. It's a very subtle taste, a teeny bit nutty, lesser sweet, and creamy. Not at all thick like emulsified peanut or other creamy butters.
- Made with whole coconut pulp.
- MaraNatha All Natural Coconut Almond Butter Creamy. No stir.
- Combines the delicious taste of roasted almonds with the unique flavor of coconut into a smooth nut butter to enjoy every day.
- Liven up your favorite sandwich, spread on toast, apples, pancakes or add to your favorite hot cereal for a unique meal, or simply enjoy straight from the jar!
- It's a delicious treat you can feel good about enjoying each and every day.
- Please recycle this container.
- Comments or questions?
- Call 1-800-749-0730 or visit www.maranathafoods.com.
Warning Text: Contains: almonds, coconuts. May contain traces of peanuts, soy and tree nuts.
I loved it. I ate the whole jar over breakfasts in the next couple of weeks, every single morning. I must have really really liked it. When I returned to the store yesterday, however, I noted that it costs double what the peanut butter cost, at least, and I couldn't justify buying it this week. Maybe next time. (You know, I had to get my bread, which costs way too much. :x ..... )
- Product - Maranatha No Stir Almond Butter Coconut
- Price - $7
- Bought from Wal - Mart, I know, I know, but I am an unemployed parent of five.
- Pros - Healthy oils, HELPS YOU POOPS, subtle taste, easy to eat, good source of calories if you need them. I would put this in a protein shake for added calories in TWO SECONDS.
- Cons - Um, same.
- Rating - Pouchworthy, MMBBGC
- Check them out here - https://www.facebook.com/maranathanutbutters/