At The Worlds' Healthiest Foods, it's cauliflower week. I'm going to celebrate this, perhaps totally negating the health benefits, by smothering the cruciferous veggie in cheese.
Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole
Recipe courtesy George Stella
- Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup heavy cream (I'll be using light, because it's what I have.)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole (I'm adding Asiago)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I use fresh.)
- Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.